The after-school rush is a tricky time – needing to get home or perhaps head off to after school activities – all while the kids are likely declaring that they are “STARVING!”
To help provide some healthy – and realistic – inspiration, here are 10 of my favourite after school snacks!
NOTE: Some of these snacks may be more practical if eaten at home, whereas others are more suited to a backseat snack on the way to various after school activities. Younger kids may be fine with a single small snack, whereas older kids may benefit from a double snack combo.
1. Air-popped corn: Homemade or pre-popped, such as Macro, Sunbites or Cobs
2. Fruit: Try out apple wedges with a smear of peanut butter, sliced cheese and pear or a cup of frozen grapes in the warmer months
3. Wholegrain crackers with sliced cheese
4. Wholegrain toast with a small tin of low-salt baked beans
5. Homemade low sugar, high fibre muffin (savoury or fruity)
6. Tub of natural yoghurt (drinking yoghurts may be easier if travelling)
7. Small wholemeal wrap with ham and cheese
8. Fruit smoothie, for example, milk blended with strawberries
9. Snack bar such as Freedom Foods Crunch & Crunchola Bars or Be Natural Trail Bar
10. Packet snacks like The Happy Snack Company Roasted FAV-VA Beans or Roasted Chic Peas, Uncle Toby’s Fruity Bites and Freedom Foods Messy Monkeys