This Sunday Goulburn celebrates 91 years since the first Australian Grand Prix for all powers racing cars was held at the Goulburn Showground, which was at the time the Goulburn racecourse.
On Sunday, January 14 the Celebrate Goulburn Group with Veolia Trust support are celebrating the 91st anniversary of this great race, which was won by a Windellama grazier, Geoffrey Charles Edwin Meredith. He drove his Type 30 Bugatti, number 12 to victory in front of a crowd of some 3000 people.
On Sunday many historic cars and bikes are expected to meet at the memorial on Braidwood Road outside the Showground between 9.30am and 10am to take a drive along Windellama Road to Windellama.
A morning tea will be held at the memorial before the drive out to the former property of Geoffrey Meredith. The present owners of the property have restored the old home in keeping with the original and where the shed in which the T30 Bugatti was once kept is still standing. For many years it was claimed that the first Australian Grand Prix was held at Phillip Island in 1928, but evidence shows Goulburn was the first venue for the All Powers Racing Car event by a year.