Crookwell Green Devils defeat North Canberra Bears at home

On Sunday, the Devils took on the North Canberra Bears at home. 

The first 10 minutes of the game was, as expected, a tussle between both teams in the battle to put the first points on the board. 

First points went the way of the Devils, with Joe Picker crossing the line in the 10th minute. The conversion was successful and the first of what was to be a faultless day with the boot by Cameron Picker. 

The tussle for the ball continued for the following ten minutes, before a set play put Jayden Eddy over for the second try of the day for the Devils, which stretched the score to 12-0 after the conversion. 

In the set that followed, the Devils forced a line dropout which led to a Ben Cummins try and yet another two points from the subsequent conversion. 

It wasn't long before the Devils were in again from a cross-field kick off the boot of Cameron Picker which found Steve Cummins in the air who crossed the line for the third try of the day. 

Off the restart, the Bears kicked out on the full, resulting in a penalty on the half way line for the Devils. In the 32nd minute, Ben Cummins crossed for his second try of the day, taking the score to 30-0. 

There was more to come in the first half, with a 40/20 kick from Ben Picker giving the Devils great field position and putting Joe Picker over for his second for the day. The score was 36-0 when the boys headed to the sheds, making it one of the best first halves of football played by the boys all year. 

Not long after half time, Cameron Picker put up a kick and chased to put himself over the line for the first points in the second half. 

With the scores 42-0, the Devils weren't done with Ben Cummins getting a trifecta for the day. Along with another successful conversion, took the score to 48-0. 

A lapse in discipline from the Devils led to the Bears getting their first points on the board in the 47th minute. The Bears’ kick was successful, and it took the score to 48-6. 

The 57th minute saw Dion Aromoana force his way over the line to get yet another 4 points for the Devils, with Cameron Picker adding another two to the haul for the afternoon. 

The Bears capitalised on a dropped ball from the Devils in the 60th minute, to get their second try of the day, taking the scores to 54-12 after a successful conversion. Another late try to the Bears stretched the final score to 54-16. 

The win meant that the Green Devils sealed the Minor Premiership for the second year in a row, taking them 3 points clear of the second placed Harden Hawks, with one round remaining in the regular season. 

A phenomenal effort from all the boys, with the players’ player going to Darnell Rowels. 3 points went to Cameron Picker; 2 points went to Joe Picker and Ben Cummins taking one point to add to his three-try day.